Job Title: Personal Assistant (Male)
This role would be most suited for a physically fit (As enjoys walking) mature male
Must be a non- smoker
Job Description Casual Worker
Personal Assistant for an active gentleman who has frontotemporal dementia.
The applicant must have a positive, flexible and friendly personality with empathy towards the others.
A clean driving licence and access to a reliable car with up to date business insurance
Duties and responsibilities
- When the weather is fine to take the gentleman out on safe routes for walks
- To support the gentleman with gardening and organising and sorting out his shed.
- Visits to garden centres and coffee shops
- Support him when attending small group activities
- Support him to attend appointments and visits to the barber, chiropodist and if appropriate dentist, GP and hospital
- To provide personal support and companionship
- To actively comply and operate within the bounds of health and safety
- To be aware that he does not like being in crowded areas and areas with a lot of noise
- To be aware that he has no road sense and can become inpatient at crossings
- Let him take the lead – If initially he doesn’t want to do as you ask and becomes tetchy use distraction techniques or walk away for a few minutes then try again
- To provide support and assistance with meals and snacks including cooking meals and preparing snacks, and to tidy up afterwards.
- To provide support as required with personal care requirements for example: The gentleman is still able to a lot for himself so it is important to encourage his independence where possible. Support may include help with dressing and undressing, washing/showering, choosing cloths, help and prompting with shaving and brushing hair and teeth, ensuring appropriate levels of hygiene, and any other reasonable requirements in a friendly, supportive, light hearted and patient way
- To attend any training courses that are arranged for you and you require to undertake to do your job safely.
- To attend for work at the agreed times and give appropriate notice if you cannot attend.
- Must be a genuinely caring person with empathy towards the elderly
- A calm and patient person who will not become easily flustered or impatient
- The ability to react to the varying moods of the Gentleman in an appropriate way
- Able to use own initiative whilst being aware of the client’s vulnerability
- Strong awareness of respect and dignity for the client
- Excellent communications skills with the client and his family
- Experience in a caring role with dementia care experience would be an advantage
It is possible to be flexible with these hours by negotiation
Salary is £8.75 per hour
Post subject to successful reference and PVG checks.
Two up to date Reference contacts are required one of which must be from a present or previous employer. In addition a new PVG enhanced disclosure will be required prior to appointment (disclosure cost to be met by the employer).
There is a 6 month trial period attached to this post
If interested please email your up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote ref JAB/Westkilbride
**** Please note AILN are not the employersGo back